Alumnus Chris Knight, '09, who is the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) reporter for Argus Media, toured The New York Times as a student during a special program.
Comments from Former Students
The Science and Environmental Writing Program has been a fantastic opportunity that has augmented my technical knowledge of science and has helped me develop writing skills. Every course in the program is interesting, interactive, exciting and educational. I feel privileged to be a part of such a special program.
Carolyn Banta Sayre '06
The Science and Environmental Writing major provides a rare and exciting opportunity for students to experience the interdisciplinary field of science and environmental journalism. The major exposes students to technical, social, ethical, cultural, political, financial and historical aspects of science, and teaches them how to organize complex information into comprehensive and concise articles.
Theo Thwing '04
I have learned critical writing skills in Lehigh's Science and Environmental Writing classes that have helped me in all my classes. In the future, I plan to go to law school, and I know my strong writing background will help me excel.
Amy Shotmeyer '05
Through this program I have learned to analyze my own writing and work through it constructively with others. The professors know their subjects and don't leave the students wondering if they are being taught correctly. Lehigh's support for the program is wonderful. Without it, four science writing students would not have been able to go to the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual meeting to experience press conferences and symposia and meet journalists from all over the world. That experience was invaluable.
Kristen Willard '05
Comments from Program Graduates
"I will be eternally grateful for the skills you taught me...."
"I have developed a respected critical eye among my colleagues..."
"I showed an essay to a lawyer friend and he asked me who I paid to write the essay."
"I just got a compliment from a Ph.D. who is on a committee that I am co-chairing: 'You're a pretty good writer."
"I feel you gave me a leg up on everyone else and. . .feel that I am succeeding in my endeavors above my peers."
Where are our alumni?
Places where our alumni have found jobs include:
- Albuquerque The Magazine
- Chemical & Engineering News magazine
- Discovery Channel
- Federal Energy Reporting, Argus Media
- National Geographic.com and News Watch
- National Public Radio
- NewScientist magazine
- Orlando Sentinel
- San Francisco Public Press
- SELF magazine
- Time magazine
- Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Center for Science in the Public Interest
- Comrise (Consulting firm)
- Con Edison of New York
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Deloitte (Consulting firm)
- DraftFcB HealthCare (Medical marketing)
- Gartner Inc. (Consulting firm)
- GL Noble Denten (Technical communication)
- GSS Communication Inc.
- Hill Pharma
- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
- The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
- University of Michigan Health System
- Uncork-it Communications
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- W.H. Freeman and Company (Bok publishers)
- Weight Watchers Media Group